POL246 These Legislative Requirements Are Designed To Ensure That The Sale And Consumption Of Alcohol In Singapore: Public Policy Assignment, MU, Singapore
|University||Murdoch University (MU)|
|Subject||POL246 Public Policy Assissgnment|
These legislative requirements are designed to ensure that the sale and consumption of alcohol in Singapore are regulated in a responsible and safe manner: –
- Liquor control
- implement timing for alcohol consumption in public places and retailers must display notice of the consumption hours.
- Sales of Alcohol
- Require license/permit to sell alcohol.
- A fine of not exceeding $5000 for the event organiser/owner if liquor is found to be consumed without a consumption permit. [Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) (Restrictions on Consumption) Regulations 2015 – Singapore Statutes Online, 2020]
- The restriction on public consumption of alcohol.
- The shortening of sale hours of alcohol at retail outlets.
- A measured and fair approach is taken by the Police in enforcing the law [Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) Act to Take Effect From 1 April 2015, n.d.]
- Customs – control the import and export of alcohol in Singapore
- Road Traffic Act – Penalties for drivers related to drunk driving
Businesses that wish to sell alcohol must comply with these requirements, and individuals who fail to do so may be subject to penalties and legal action. Offences committed within the Liquor Control Zones will result in a more serious penalty to that in the non-designated areas. [Liquor Control (Supply and Consumption) Act to Take Effect From 1 April 2015, n.d.]