Culture often exists as an implicit reality and therefore goes unnoticed, but using a sociological approach to culture we can begin to understand the importance of beliefs, values, norms, and language. Read the following section on culture, p. 70-81(attached files), and then link to these websites:
Answer the following questions (1 page, double spaced) (minimum 300 to 500 words)
1. What was the first video about?
2. Why should we be concerned about a lost language?
3. What was the second video about?
4. What does the phrase, “like you know” say about American values, beliefs and norms?
5. Why do you think we question what we say?
6. Make the connection between the article and video; in particular, what are we losing?
Read the article Nacerima (www.msu.edu/~jdowell/miner.html (Links to an external site.)) and then answer the following questions:
1. In one sentence, sum up the Nacirema culture.
2. How do the Nacirema feel about the human body?
3. What do you think about Nacirema rituals?
4. What rituals performed by the Nacirema seem most outlandish to you?Why?
5. To what extent can you identify with the article?
1. Identify Nacirema rituals with your own.
2. How does this article relate to the concept of ethnocentrism?
Please answer separately and numbered!