Criminal Procedures and Law Of Evidence Assignment, SUSS, Singapore: August 2023: In what is being touted as Singapore’s most significant money laundering operation
August 2023: In what is being touted as Singapore’s most significant money laundering operation, several foreign nationals were arrested. They were allegedly involved in laundering money from overseas crimes and forgery.
Read the following articles:
Article 1: S$1 billion money laundering probe: 105 properties linked to suspects include Sentosa Cove bungalows, condominium units – CNA (channelnewsasia.com)
Website URL: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/money-laundering-probe-foreigners-properties-suspects-sentosa-cove-bungalows-condominium-3707496
Article 2: S$1 billion in houses, cars, money and goods seized or frozen in one of Singapore’s largest money laundering probes – CNA (channelnewsasia.com)
Website URL: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/1-billion-properties-luxury-cars-money-laundering-probe-foreigners-arrested-3703331
Article 3: Who are the 10 foreigners arrested in Singapore’s massive S$1 billion money laundering crackdown? – CNA (channelnewsasia.com)
Website URL: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/money-laundering-suspects-police-probe-raids-gcb-condo-prime-areas-seized-3703491
Article 4: Billion-dollar money laundering case: High Court rejects lawyers’ bid for man to be released – TODAY (todayonline.com)
Website URL: https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/billion-dollar-money-laundering-case-high-court-rejects-lawyers-bid-man-be-released-2247521
The articles above involve several topics revolving around the criminal procedure.
What you have to do:
(1) In relation to these articles, briefly explain the law on ‘arrest’, ‘search and seizure’ and ‘bail’;
(2) Examine and critically discuss the current law and procedure in relation to the offences identified in the articles; and
(3) Suggest ideas for reform on these topics on ‘arrest’, ‘search and seizure’ and ‘bail’.
As you do your research for this assignment, you are free to find and use more articles on this billion-dollar money laundering case, however, do provide the link to the articles that you are referring to. The articles must be from trustworthy sources.
Please read this very carefully. Any non-adherence shall result in reduction of marks.
1. Your assignment should be typed in double-spaced essay format, using the Arial font and font size 12. Your essay should be about 1500 words long (+/- 10%). However, you should not be unduly worried about the length of your written work. You will be assessed based on the depth of your analysis.
2. Any student found plagiarizing from other works, published or unpublished, will be penalized severely. All thoughts, ideas, and quotes that are not original should be acknowledged in the assignment.
3. If it is determined that one student has copied from another, both students will be penalized.
4. You must not use any generative artificial intelligence (GenAI) to generate any materials or content in relation to this assignment. Any student found using GenAI to generate content for this assignment will be penalized severely.