An investigation into the changing perceptions of men towards beauty Parlors in Singapore, SMU, Singapore: Identify the general area of interest: Start by identifying the general area of research that interests you.
In this section, you need to write about your study; why the key requirement to conduct this study, and what the importance of your study
1.1. Background of the Study
This section establishes the context of your study. Key trends, highlights, recent happenings, studies, etc. must be brought into this context. The student showcases a deep understanding of the current state of the context of the study. Key positive aspects and key negative aspects are also established here. Limit the citations to 5 or 6.
Start the section with a clear and concise introduction that provides an overview of the research topic and describes the broader context within which the study is situated, highlighting any relevant theories, concepts, or existing knowledge.
1.2. Research Gap
This section is for two purposes; to identify the research gap and to state the problem statement. Research gap is the gap between what was studied in the past, and what needs to be studied.
Identify the gaps or limitations in the current understanding of the topic, emphasizing the need for further research. Present a brief summary of the existing literature or previous studies that have explored similar or related issues. Highlight any key findings, debates, or controversies in the literature, and explain how your study aims to contribute to resolving or advancing these issues.
The research gap is established with the help of current studies and must be supported with academic citations. This directly correlates to the title of the study and discusses only key studies with citations in the same field as the current study.
The second part of this section highlights the key problems associated with the gap identified above. You may ask yourself:
- What are the key challenges posed due to the negative things associated with the gap?
- What are the issues or problems associated with the challenges in general?
How are these negative issues or problems associated with your industry in general?
- Identify 5 or 6 key issues or problems associated with the challenges impacting your industry.
How do these negative issues or problems associated with the challenges impact your organization (if you study a specific organization)
1.3. Research Question(s)
In this section, you are required to highlight some of the key questions that lead to taking up this study. Generally speaking, your study is actually finding the answer to these questions.
State the research questions one by one, and explain the relevance of the research questions in the context of your study.
1.4. Problem Statement
This section highlights the problem statement.
A research problem statement is a clear, concise, and specific statement that describes the issue or problem that the research project addresses. It should be written in a way that is easily understandable to both experts and non-experts in the field.
To write a research problem statement, you should:
- Identify the general area of interest: Start by identifying the general area of research that interests you.
- Define the specific problem: Narrow down the general area of interest to a specific problem or issue.
- Explain the significance of the problem: Provide context for the problem by explaining why it is important to study and what gap in current knowledge or understanding it fills.
- Provide a clear and concise statement: State the problem in a clear and concise manner, making sure to use language that is easily understood by your intended audience.
- Use a scientific and objective tone: The problem statement should be written in a neutral and objective tone, avoiding any subjective language and personal bias