1) Discuss a time when you have been a member of a team that has not performed well. Why was the team not effective? What role did the leader play in the teamâ€™s inability to perform? What steps should have been taken to address the issues? Cite your sources appropriately.
2) One important skill for leaders to improve team performance is to be able to empower employees. Read the article “Get your employees to work â€˜like nobodyâ€™s watching.’ (Links to an external site.)â€ In the article, three ideas for encouraging employees were described. As a leader, how would you implement these ideas within your organization? How would implementing these changes improve team performance? Cite your sources appropriately.
3) As this weekâ€™s material points out, we are living in times of immense change. One of the essential tasks of an organizationâ€™s leadership is to lead organizations in a way that ensures that the entire organization is committed to the change and that support mechanisms are in place to sustain change. Research several online industries that are currently stressed by changing marketplaces and demographics: the newspaper and publishing Industries, entertainment media outlets, brick and mortar retail, and even campus bookstores.
- Choose an organization within one of the industries listed above, or one of your own choosing that is currently impacted by a changing marketplace.
- How would you apply Kotterâ€™s eights steps toward leading change within that organization?
- Provide examples of the desired outcomes and support mechanisms you would utilize.
4) Adaptive work is accomplished by finding a solution to seemingly intractable problems facing leaders; the solution is neither technical, nor obvious. As the material illustrates, leaders must motivate organization members to face demanding situations that arise from the organizationâ€™s own culture and values. Using the organization you chose within this weekâ€™s first discussion, analyze an adaptive challenge facing this organization.
- Describe the adaptive work that needs to be accomplished.
- Analyze your approach to resolving the problem. Be certain to include questions that would arise, and what trade-offs may be required in your analysis.
- Describe the desired outcome.